The Technical Director will be part of a 50+ strong team working on the award winning series “The Amazing World of Gumball” from our central London studio. The series unique technical challenge is to integrate 2d and 3D character animation within mixed media environments (live action, 3D, 2D).
Working side by side with the Art Director, the Layout and the Background Heads of Department, the TD will ensure that we have a technical continuity running through each department on each episode. He/She will be expected to advise the team on how best to approach tasks that fall outside of our traditional pipeline. The TD will also be responsible for briefing and reviewing lighting/rendering, this task is outsourced and requires liaising with Studio SOI in Germany.
The TD should show curiosity and interest in assessing current creative & technical choices and procedures and suggest alternative time and cost efficient processes to achieve the same high end results.
This role would especially suit a Maya generalist with a passion for animation, who has worked with environments, layout, lighting and rendering, has an interest in pipeline work and wants to step up to new challenges. We are looking for an enthusiastic team player and problem solver. The TD has to show strong verbal and written communication skills.
The tasks associated with this role include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Layout, 3D animation and Background departments to make sure that files are meeting production standards and running smoothly through our pipeline, trouble shooting any issues that may arise during the course of the production;
- To work closely and support the Background Team where there are more technical requirements;
- To help with all areas of technical coordination and pipeline – advising and working alongside all creative HODs;
- To brief ad review dailies from Studio Soi in Germany with regard to lighting and render;
- To attend weekly technical reviews for each episode and advise on difficult and bespoke sequences
- Strong knowledge of Maya and Metal Ray essentials, some knowledge of Python would be a plus
If you would like to apply for this role please submit your CV/Resume with link to showreel to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please print the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
Start Date: January 2016
End Date: March 2018
Location: LONDON. This role requires you to have the legal rights to work in the UK.